Sep 4, 2013

DON LEO JONATHAN IN JAPAN


I am surprised that many wrestling fans often refer to my site for Don Leo Jonathan. I'm sorry but I have hardly written about Jonathan, because I have a little knowledge of him. Don Leo Jonathan went to Japan for the first time in 1958, and he challenged Rikidozan. Of course, in those days I was not born yet.

In the 60's, Jonathan fought against Giant Baba, but I was still a baby. And he joined in KOKUSAI (International) PRO-WRESTLING in the 70's. He fought with Andre in there, but the TV program of KOKUSAI was not put on the air in my hometown. In short, I didn't know him.

I saw Jonathan for the first time in 1975. Giant Baba invited many famous wrestlers, and he held a big wrestling event 'The World Open League'. Now I have four videos of Jonathan in that league. But I think his fights were not good. May be he was already old veteran, and he could not show hard moves.



Don Leo Jonathan vs. Anton Geesink

The former judo champion Geesink was scouted by Baba, and he joined in ALL JAPAN. But he was very bad at wrestling. I think he could not understand the rules of wrestling. Geesink is a bad guy for us, because he anger the big boss Baba and he introduced a colored jacket in judo world. That was the worst match for me.


Don Leo Jonathan vs. Abdullah The Butcher

The Butcher used Elbow Drop, and he took a fall from Jonathan easily. Jonathan did nothing !!
This was the real worst match.

Don Leo Jonathan vs. The Destroyer

The Destroyer tried Figure Four Leg Lock several times, but Jonathan refused it and did nothing !! This was also the worst match.


Don Leo Jonathan vs. Dory Funk Jr.

Dory was a good friend of Baba, and he did his best for this big event. But Jonathan could not move swiftly. They fell from the ring, and the referee declared a double count-out. That was certainly the worst match. (ha-ha)


These are all the videos of Jonathan I have. After all I saw his bad fights only, and I don't know his best days. His last fight in Japan was in 1978. I was surprised that his name appeared in a program of NEW JAPAN in 1982, but he didn't come to Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment