Jul 12, 2012

THEME TUNES OF WRESTLERS

Tsuruta vs. Mascaras (1977)

When wrestlers appear in the hall and go to the ring, now it is usual that there are a loud music and showy special effects which stir up spectator's excitement. But in old days these things were nothing at all, wrestlers appeared aimlessly, and we watched them with breathless interest. I rather liked that strange tension before a starting bell without any music.

I think that wrestlers' theme tunes at going to the ring began in Japan. I don't know when it started, but the first impressive match of it was the fight of Jumbo Tsuruta and Mil Mascaras in 1977, in Denen Colosseum, the dear open air stadium. At that time the theme of Mascaras 'Sky High' and Jumbo's theme 'Chinese Kung-fu' sounded in the stadium, and we were surprised at that fresh atmosphere.

After that, almost wrestlers became to have their own theme tunes, and music became an important part of wrestling. Inoki's theme 'The Fighter of Fire' (Ali The Greatest), Riki Chosyu's 'Power Hall', Hansen's 'Rising Sun' and so on, there were many impressive tunes. And my favorite was the theme of the Funk brothers 'Spinning Toe Hold', performed by Creation. Every time I hear this tune, I go back to my childhood.

About the theme music, Giant Baba was very unique. His theme was the theme of the TV program of ALL JAPAN, and that was also the theme of sports programs of Nihon TV. In short, Baba may have thought nothing about music, but somehow that theme tune became him very well. Hearing this music, I recollect Baba's hard fights with Hansen and my pleasing high-school days. Afterwards Baba changed his theme, but absolutely the former tune was better !!


No comments:

Post a Comment